The SVHM Carl De Gruchy Library can assist you with literature searching techniques and EndNote (reference management software)
through online meeting tutorials.
We can offer tutorials through Skype for Business or through Zoom. Skype for Business is the preferred videoconferencing software utilised by SVHA.
Skype for Business installation
You need to have Skype for Business installed on your device
For Microsoft use, download Skype through Office 365.
Sign in to Microsoft 365 at https://admin.microsoft.com/
The software can also be downloaded through Outlook⇒My Account ⇒Apps & Devices if it is available through your Office suite.
(For more information about installing Skype for Business, please refer to Microsoft Help Center Install Skype for Business (for Windows or Mac - select your preference)
Skype for Business meeting invitation
- A Librarian will set up a meeting for you.
- A meeting request will be sent and set up in your Outlook calendar. Please refer to the online link (Join online meeting) sent to your outlook e-mail to join the scheduled meeting.
Skype for Business features
- Once you have joined the meeting: ensure video and audio are working and are ON. Familiarise yourself with the Skype feature icons.
- For Literature Search tutorials: in another browser window, open up your database, i.e. Medline. Access Medline from SVHM Library homepage ⇒Databases⇒Medline
- For EndNote tutorials: in another window have your EndNote library open or any other information page or material sent by your trainer
Sharing your desktop
- Your desktop while in Medline can be shared with your trainer via Skype for Business. Access Medline and then share the website using the share desktop feature on Skype for Business. Select Share Desktop or Present Desktop.
Videoconferencing tips & etiquette
- Due to technology performance, the audio or sometimes even the video screen might have to be turned off. Screen sharing can also at times compromise the quality of images. A meeting of more than 2 people can affect both video and audio quality.
- While sharing a screen try to maximise your desktop page so it is easier to see.
- Try to mute your audio when someone else is speaking and listen before turning on your audio to answer.
To learn more about Skype for business etiquette (Office 365 etiquette)
To learn more about Skype for Business (Microsoft Help Center)
Zoom Client for Meetings installation
- Zoom is a leading video/audio conferencing application. It can be freely downloaded from the web. Downloading the app to your desktop or device is recommended for an improved user experience.
However, you can also join a meeting without downloading the software. While Zoom is free, each meeting has a limitation of 40 minutes.
- A Librarian will schedule a meeting with you and send a link to join a meeting
Getting started on Zoom Client for Meetings - for Windows and Mac (Zoom Help Center)