Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What is CINAHL?
- CINAHL = Consolidated Index of Nursing and Allied Health Literature
- Bibliographic database indexing articles from over 5,500 journals.
- Does not include full text.
- Years of coverage: Indexed from 1937 to present.
- Sits on the EBSCOhost platform.
Searching CINAHL step by step
Download helpsheet: Searching CINAHL step by step
Step by step instructions on how to search the CINAHL database using a sample topic: "Speech therapy after stroke". Includes use of CINAHL subject headings, searching text in titles and/or abstract, combining terms using AND/OR, adding limits and exporting results.
Author: Helen Wilding, Senior Research Librarian.
Last update: 9 February 2017
If you have already searched Ovid Medline:
- General process is similar to searching Ovid Medline - grouping concepts and including subject headings and text
- However the EBSCOhost interface looks a bit different to Ovid - buttons are in different places and syntax (commands) are different
- Check for CINAHL specific SUBJECT HEADINGS (remembering this database has a nursing focus)
- Use the Polyglot tool to translate text search lines from Ovid Medline to CINAHL eg haphazard.ti to TI haphazard
- See helpsheet for step by step process