Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Mental Health Update - Issue 6 of 2019 (16 October 2019)
Welcome to Mental Health Update – a current awareness e-bulletin for staff and students of St Vincent's Hospital Melbourne who are interested in any aspect of mental health. Staff may request an Endnote library of citations. Readers from other organisations are welcome, but please note that some links may not work for you, and this library can only supply subscription based full text resources to SVHM staff and students.
If you would like to provide feedback or be notified of new issues please email firstname.lastname@example.org - enjoy!
- Open access article: Free access. No login needed.
- Read article*: Onsite access at SVHM without login. Offsite access with SVHM email address and password.
- Read article**: Onsite access at SVHM without login. Offsite access with Clinicians Health Channel login.
- Abstract only: Staff publication without subscription access. Request from author.
BROWZINE TRIAL (until end 2019)
Create your own bookshelf of favourite journals with this Browzine trial available to SVHM staff and students until the end of 2019. Available on site and offsite via the free Browzine mobile app. You will need to enter your SVHM login and then create a personal account to save your favourite journals and articles.
If you like Browzine, make sure you spread the word and let us know!
Publications by staff of St Vincent's Hospital Melbourne
Congratulations to our very own authors for a job well done!
- Self- screening using the Edinburgh post natal depression scale for mothers and fathers to initiate early help seeking behaviours. Edward K-l, Giandinoto J-A, Stephenson J, Mills C, McFarland J, . Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 2019, 33(4):421-427 Read article*
- Is there a discrete negative symptom syndrome in people who use methamphetamine? Voce A, Burns R, , Calabria B, McKetin R. Comprehensive Psychiatry, 2019, 93:27-32 Open access article
- Psychosocial factors affecting smoking cessation among people living with schizophrenia: A lived experience lens. Cocks N, Brophy L, Segan C, Stratford A, Jones S, . Frontiers in psychiatry, 2019, 10(565) Open access article
- Protocol for an economic evaluation of the Quitlink randomized controlled trial for accessible smoking cessation support for people with severe mental illness. Sweeney R, Moodie M, Baker AL, Borland R, , Segan C, Turner A, Attia J, Kelly PJ, Brophy L, Bonevski B, Williams JM, Baird D, White SL, McCarter K. Frontiers in psychiatry, 2019, 10(618) Open access article
- Anti-n-methyl-d-aspartate receptor encephalitis presenting as isolated psychosis in an adolescent female. Curnow SR, , Yiu EM, Kornberg AJ. Pediatr Neurol, 2019, 97:76-77 abstract only
- Adolescent self-harm: Think before prescribing. King J, , Leow F. Aust Prescr, 2019, 42(3):90-92 Open access article
- Having schizophrenia is not being ‘schizophrenic’: Your words matter.. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, Read article*
- Is it really safe to cut psychiatric beds in Western Sydney by 15%? A reply to Atkinson et al. Allison S, Bastiampillai T, , Judkins S. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, 2019, 53(10):1026-1026 Read article*
- Medical marijuana: The Australian experience. , Strauss N, , . Missouri medicine, 2019, 116(4):270-273 Open access article
- Psychiatric bed numbers in Australia. Allison S, Bastiampillai T, Copolov D, . The Lancet Psychiatry, 2019, 6(10):e21 Read article*
- Characteristics of patients with cancer who die by suicide: Coronial case series in an Australian state. , Dwyer J, Hiscock R, , , , Bugeja L, Philip J. Psycho-Oncology, Read article*
- The challenges facing the public mental health sector: Implications of the Victorian psychiatry workforce project. Newton R, Beasley A, Bosanac P, , Copolov D, Hopwood M, Keks N, Paoletti N, Tiller J. Australasian Psychiatry, Read article*
Featured journal articles and online resources
- Healthy recovery: A pilot study of a smoking and other health behavior change intervention for people attending residential alcohol and other substance dependence treatment. Kelly PJ, Baker AL, Townsend CJ et al. Journal of Dual Diagnosis, 2019, 15(3):207-216 Read article*
- Prevalence and risk factors of emergency department presentations with methamphetamine intoxication or dependence: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Sibanda NC, Kornhaber R, Hunt GE et al. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 2019, 40(7):567-578 Read article*
- Are claims of non-inferiority of internet and computer-based cognitive-behavioural therapy compared with in-person cognitive-behavioural therapy for adults with anxiety disorders supported by the evidence from head-to-head randomised controlled trials? A systematic review. O’Kearney R, Kim S, Dawson RL et al. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry Read article*
- Implementing physical exercise and music interventions for patients suffering from dementia on an acute psychogeriatric inpatient ward. Pitkänen A, Alanen H-M, Kampman O et al. Nordic Journal of Psychiatry, 2019:1-8 Read article*
- A qualitative examination of the physical activity needs of people with severe mental illness. Schebesch-Ruf W, Heimgartner A, Wells JS et al. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 2019:1-9 Read article*
- Evaluation of an alternative model for the management of clinical risk in an adult acute psychiatric inpatient unit. Harrington A, Darke H, Ennis G et al. International Journal of Mental Health Nursing, 2019, 28(5):1099-1109 Read article*
- Predictable, collaborative and safe: Healthcare provider experiences of introducing brief admissions by self-referral for self-harming and suicidal persons with a history of extensive psychiatric inpatient care. Lindkvist R-M, Landgren K, Liljedahl SI et al. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 2019, 40(7):548-556 Open access article
- Coercion and the inpatient treatment alliance. Lawrence RE, Perez-Coste MM, Bailey JL et al. Psychiatric Services, 2019:appi.ps.201900132 Read article**
- Lower versus higher frequency of sessions in starting outpatient mental health care and the risk of a chronic course; a naturalistic cohort study. Tiemens B, Kloos M, Spijker J et al. BMC Psychiatry, 2019, 19(1):228 Open access article
- Long-term stability of personality traits in a clinical psychiatric sample. Spangenberg H, Ramklint M, Ramirez A. Nordic Journal of Psychiatry, 2019, 73(6):309-316 Read article*
Maternal mental health
- What roles do male partners play in the mothering experiences of women living with mental illness? A qualitative secondary analysis. Beard E, Honey A, Hancock N et al. BMC Psychiatry, 2019, 19(1):229 Open access article
- “I just wish it becomes part of routine care”: Healthcare providers’ knowledge, attitudes and perceptions of screening for maternal mental health during and after pregnancy: A qualitative study. McCauley M, Abigail B, Bernice O et al. BMC Psychiatry, 2019, 19(1):279 Open access article
- Balancing body and mind: Selecting the optimal antipsychotic. Siskind D, Kisely S. The Lancet, 2019, 394:900-902 Open access article
- Comparative efficacy and tolerability of 32 oral antipsychotics for the acute treatment of adults with multi-episode schizophrenia: A systematic review and network meta-analysis. Huhn M, Nikolakopoulou A, Schneider-Thoma J et al. The Lancet, 2019, 394(10202):939-951 Open access article
- Guidelines for the pharmacological acute treatment of major depression: Conflicts with current evidence as demonstrated with the German s3-guidelines. Plöderl M, Hengartner MP. BMC Psychiatry, 2019, 19(1):265 Open access article
- The effectiveness of cannabinoids in the treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD): A systematic review. Hindocha C, Cousijn J, Rall M et al. Journal of Dual Diagnosis, 2019:1-20 Read article*
- A review of the antimicrobial side of antidepressants and its putative implications on the gut microbiome. McGovern AS, Hamlin AS, Winter G. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, 0(0):0004867419877954 Read article*
- Interventions to improve metabolic risk screening among adult patients taking antipsychotic medication: A systematic review. Melamed O, Wong E, LaChance L et al. Psychiatric Services, Read article**
- A retrospective chart review of screening on the prevalence of metabolic syndrome (METS) in an Irish community mental health service. Cocoman AM, Gallagher D. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 2019:1-7 Read article*
- Nonpharmacological interventions for the treatment of cardiometabolic risk factors in people with schizophrenia-a systematic review. Tumiel E, Wichniak A, Jarema M et al. Frontiers in psychiatry, 2019, 10:566-566 Open access article
- Peer specialists in community mental health: Ongoing challenges of inclusion. Jones N, Niu G, Thomas M et al. Psychiatric Services, Read article**
- The impact of pharmacological and non-pharmacological interventions to improve physical health outcomes in people with schizophrenia: A meta-review of meta-analyses of randomized controlled trials. Vancampfort D, Firth J, Correll CU et al. World Psychiatry, 2019, 18(1):53-66 Open access article
- The characteristics and risk factors for common psychiatric disorders in patients with cancer seeking help for mental health. Anuk D, Özkan M, Kizir A et al. BMC Psychiatry, 2019, 19(1):269 Open access article
- Working in recovery: A medical student’s experience. Neustadter E. Psychiatric Services, 2019, 70(9):853-854 Open access article
- The impact of recovery colleges on mental health staff, services and society. Crowther A, Taylor A, Toney R et al. Epidemiology and Psychiatric Sciences, 2019, 28(5):481-488 Open access article
- Care coordination can reduce unmet needs of persons with severe and persistent mental illness. Isaacs A, Beauchamp A, Sutton K et al. Frontiers in psychiatry, 2019, 10:563-563 Open access article
- Factors deterring and prompting the decision to attempt suicide on the railway networks: Findings from 353 online surveys and 34 semi-structured interviews. Marzano L, Mackenzie J-M, Kruger I et al. British Journal of Psychiatry, 2019, 215(4):582-587 Read article*
- Suicidal risk factors in major affective disorders. Baldessarini RJ, Tondo L, Pinna M et al. British Journal of Psychiatry, 2019, 215(4):621-626 Read article*
New books - Carl de Gruchy Library
Peer Work in Australia: a New Future for Mental Health by
Call Number: 616.8916 PEE 2018
Publication Date: 2018
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples' Health and Wellbeing by
Call Number: 362.849915 ABO 2020
Publication Date: 2020